1st Battalion South Lancashire Regiment

The South Lancashire Regiment was a line infantry regiment of the British Army in existence from 1881 to 1958 which recruited primarily within the South Lancashire area. It was created as part of the Childers Reforms in 1881 as the Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment) by the amalgamation of the 40th (the 2nd Somersetshire) Regiment of Foot and the 82nd Regiment of Foot (Prince of Wales's Volunteers). In 1938 it was renamed the South Lancashire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's Volunteers) and on 1 July 1958 the regiment was amalgamated with the East Lancashire Regiment to form the Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) which was later amalgamated with the Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire) to form the Queen's Lancashire Regiment which was, however, merged with the King's Regiment (Liverpool and Manchester), the King's Own Royal Border Regiment, in 2007, to form the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment (King's, Lancashire and Border).

 

The 1st Battalion, a Regular Army battalion, was shipped to France on the outbreak of war in 1939 as part of the 12th Infantry Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, British Expeditionary Force, returning to England via Dunkirk

 

After returning to the United Kingdom it transferred to the 8th Infantry Brigade (which included the 1st Suffolk Regiment and 2nd East Yorkshire Regiment) attached to 3rd Infantry Division, nicknamed Monty's Ironsides. With this division, it landed at Sword Beach on D-Day and fought its way through the Normandy, the Netherlands and later the invasion of Germany.

Name: Kerry, Harold

Rank: Private

Age: 26

No.3656517

Unit:D.Company

Missing since: 13-10-1944

Next of Kin: Son of Mrs L. Kerry, of Pendleton, Salford.

Groesbeek Panel: 5

 

KIA Information: Known to have been killed in Sint Anthonis.

 

Could he be the unknown soldier buried at Mierlo War Cemetery 8.A.6.