The King’s Own Scottish Borderers were raised in Edinburgh in 1689 by David Leslie, 3rd Earl of Leven, following the Glorious Revolution of 1688, when Prince William of Orange was invited to take the throne by the English Lords becoming King William III and deposing James II.
In late 1939: The Battalion set sail for France with the BEF (3rd Infantry Division).
May 1940: They crossed the Belgian frontier and were ordered to withdraw from the overwhelming enemy.
31 May - 01 June 1940: It was evacuated from the beaches at Dunkirk and returned to the UK.
06 June 1944: Returned to France on D-Day and landed at ‘Queen’ Beach. It fought around Caen until the enemy surrendered. It then advanced north through Belgium and Holland to the Rhine and Bremen.
Name: PENNEY, John
Missing since: 18-02-1945
Next of Kin:Son of Christophe John and Kathrine Penney, of Whitechapel, London.
Groesbeek Panel: 4
KIA Information: No information about him in the War diary, Battalion had positions in Afferden/Ripelt area, Limburg.
It is believed that the unknown at the unknown at Arnhem-Oosterbeek War Cemetery Grave 23.C.18, found at Bleijenbeek Castle in 1985 is Private John Penney, however there is no 100% proof of that, so he remains unknown and as it the marking on the stone at Oosterbeek.
No part of this website may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopy, copying of photographs, recording, scanning or any information storage, retrieval or archiving system, without the prior written permission of the author.
cellphone user, please use the triple stripes on the top left to continue on the site.
Philip Reinders, 2016