Runnymede Memorial, Surrey

Country:
United Kingdom
Locality:
Surrey
Identified Casualties:
20292

Location Information

This Memorial overlooks the River Thames on Cooper's Hill at Englefield Green between Windsor and Egham on the A308, 4 miles from Windsor. 

Visiting Information

Sept 2013 - The Commonwealth War Graves Commission is aware of an Eco Camp on a field near to the public toilets at Runnymede Air Forces Memorial. The site is being monitored by Surrey Police and Runnymede Borough Council Community Safety Officers. However, it should be noted that the campers have been using the Coopers Hill toilets, which are owned by Runnymede BC. Some recent vandalism has also been reported. At times the public toilets may be out of service whilst repairs are undertaken. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission apologises for any inconvenience to visitors. 

The Memorial is open every day except Christmas Day and New Years Day, as follows: 

1 November - 31 March: 
Weekdays: 09.00 - 16.00 hours or dusk whichever is sooner 
Weekends & Public Holidays: 10.00 - 16.00 hours or dusk whichever is sooner 

1 April - 31 October: 
Weekdays: 09.00 - 18.00 hours or dusk whichever is sooner 
Weekends & Public Holidays: 10.00 - 18.00 hours or dusk whichever is sooner 

Disabled badge holders may use the on site parking area in front of the memorial. All other visitors requiring parking are asked to make use of the public car park some 200 yards from the memorial on Coopers Hill Lane. 


Historical Information

The Air Forces Memorial at Runnymede commemorates by name over 20,000 airmen who were lost in the Second World War during operations from bases in the United Kingdom and North and Western Europe, and who have no known graves. They served in Bomber, Fighter, Coastal, Transport, Flying Training and Maintenance Commands, and came from all parts of the Commonwealth. Some were from countries in continental Europe which had been overrun but whose airmen continued to fight in the ranks of the Royal Air Force. 

The memorial was designed by Sir Edward Maufe with sculpture by Vernon Hill. The engraved glass and painted ceilings were designed by John Hutton and the poem engraved on the gallery window was written by Paul H Scott. The Memorial was unveiled by The Queen on 17 October 1953.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1&sort=name&order=asc

Royal Aiforce Memorial, Doorwerth

The Royal Air Force memorial in Doorwerth is placed on 13 september 2004 to honour the men of the Royal Air Force who played an important role during the Battle for Arnhem. This memorial is an initiative of the Philip Reinders of Arnhem Battle Research Group. It is placed behind the Rehoboth School in Doorwerth.

The text on the memorial is:
Here, during the Battle of Arnhem, Stirling LJ928 crashed on 21 september 1944, after having been hit by fire from enemy fighters, killing the crew and the air despatchers. This memorial is not only to commemorate these men, but to remember all those of the Royal Air Force who flew between 17th and 25th September 1944 over this area. Flying on low level through German anti-aircraft fire and attacking enemy fighters, they towed gliders and dropped supplies for the men of the 1st British Airborne Division.
During those days 229 crew members and air despatchers from the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa lost their lives in a brave attempt to help the men on the ground.