The cemetery was started in the spring of 1945 when graves were brought in from the surrounding district, most of them being casualties of September-November 1944. At that time the main fighting was concerned with clearing the region south and west of the Maas and with opening up the Scheldt estuary further west. Helmond itself was occupied on 25 September, 1944.

Mierlo War Cemetery now contains 664 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War, seven of them unidentified, and one Dutch war grave.(August 2017)